- on our Sites, through a Service or any of our other Offerings;
- in email, text, and other electronic messages between Idealist and you;
- through Idealist mobile and desktop pages you download or print from an Idealist Site or Mobile App, which provide dedicated, non-browser-based interaction between you and Idealist;
- when you interact with our other Users and their websites, mobile applications, pages or via email or print;
- when you interact with our advertising and pages on third-party websites and through third-party services; and
- whether or not such Offerings, pages, advertising, anything else listed above, include links to this policy.
1. INFORMATION WE COLLECT ABOUT YOU
As with any other services, sites or applications, we collect certain information that may be Personal Information, such as:
The Account Information that we collect may include, but shall not be limited to:
- basic information that is provided during our member registration process, including your first and last name, location (city, state, and country), and email address;
- optional information about the kind of Listings and other information we may need to send you, or that you would like us to send to you, via email;
- additional information for your or your organization’s profile, such as your photos, logos, your mission, and a description of your services; and/or
- information about your internet connection, your IP address, the equipment you use to access our Offerings and usage details.
We may collect this information:
- directly from you when you provide it to us;
- automatically as you navigate through one of our Offerings (information collected automatically may include usage details, IP addresses, and information collected through cookies, web beacons, and other tracking technologies); and/or
- from third parties, for example, our business partners and suppliers. Information that we may collect from such third parties would typically be the kind that falls under the following categories:
- General personal details e.g. name, title, address, telephone numbers, email address
- Previous employment details e.g. names of former employers, duration worked, start and end dates of employment
- Resume and any details that would ordinarily be contained in such a document
(b) Information You Provide to Us: The information we collect on or through our Offerings may include, but shall not be limited to:
- Information that you provide by filling in Idealist forms. This includes information provided at the time of registering to use our Site or Mobile App, subscribing to our Services, posting material, or requesting further Services on our Site or Mobile App. We may also ask you for information when you enter a contest or promotion sponsored by us, and when you report a problem with one of our Offerings.
- Records and copies of your correspondence (including email addresses), if you contact us.
- Your responses to surveys that we might ask you to complete for research purposes.
- Payment information from you, such as credit card numbers and billing addresses. Because payment transactions on or through an Offering are currently outsourced to third party service providers, it is necessary for us to provide access to your payment information to such third parties. In those cases, we take commercially reasonable steps to ensure that these providers do not use or otherwise disclose any information we collect about you except for the purpose of fulfilling their service obligations to us.
- Your search queries on a Site or in a Mobile App.
- The pages you visit and links you click on during every browser or Mobile App session.
(c) Member-Created Content.
One reason people and organizations use our Offerings is to share content with others. Examples include when you create an organization profile, post Listings, or upload a photo. You, being an Organization or Individual User, also may provide information to be published, transmitted or displayed (hereinafter, “posted“) on public areas of one of our Offerings or transmitted to other Users or third parties (collectively, “Contributions“). Your Contributions are posted on and transmitted to others at your own risk. You receive others Contributions at your own risk. Although we limit access to certain pages, please be aware that no security measures are perfect or impenetrable. Additionally, we cannot control the actions of other Users of the Site with whom you may choose to share your Contributions. Therefore, we cannot and do not guarantee that your Contributions will not be viewed by unauthorized persons. Your Contributions will be subject to our Terms of Service under which it should be noted that Idealist has reserved the right to immediately remove from any of the Sites, any Contribution for any reason, including violations of this Agreement or any applicable Laws. Please see Section II, B (4) of our Terms of Service for more information regarding Contributions and particularly content removal.
(c) Children’s Use of Idealist Offerings.
We welcome members of all ages to use our Offerings. While we are not required to comply with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act because of our non-profit status, we require Individual Users under thirteen years old to access our Sites, Services, Mobile Apps or any of our other Offerings only with parental consent and supervision.
Any personally identifiable information submitted by an Individual User under thirteen years old only may be done so with parental consent and supervision. If we learn that we have collected or received personally identifiable information from an Individual User under age 13 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information with no obligation to such underage Individual User or his/her parent/guardian. If you believe we might have any information from or about a child under 13, please contact us using this Web Form.
(e) Payment Information. Some of our Offerings are fee-based and we therefore will collect payment information from you, such as credit card numbers and billing addresses.
(e) Use and Access. In order to monitor the effectiveness of our Offerings, identify areas of interest, and consider potential improvements to them, we may also keep track of the actions you take while engaged with our Offerings, which may include but shall not be limited to:
- signing up for email alerts;
- becoming an administrator;
- saving Listings;
- connections made with other Users; and
- publishing content through Contributions.
As you navigate through and interact with our Offerings, we may use automatic data collection technologies (such as cookies and tokens) to collect or track certain information about your hardware, browsing actions, and patterns, which may include but shall not be limited to:
- Authorization tokens and related digital information files;
- Your login ID (but never your password which remains an inaccessible, encrypted hash) to make it easier for you to log in whenever you come back to a Site or Mobile App;
- Assess the technical function of a Site or Mobile App; and
- Track information about which pages you visit within a Site or Mobile App to help us gauge the effectiveness of these and our other Offerings, and our content.
Like many other websites and applications, we may automatically collect information about your Internet connection that does NOT identify you personally, which may include but shall not be limited to:
- The IP address of the computer or device you used to access the Internet;
- The browser type and operating system you use to access our Offering;
- The name of the website from which you linked directly to our Site;
- The date and time you access our Offering; and
- The pages you visit.
2. HOW WE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
We may use personal information that you give us to:
- provide Services or other Offerings that you request;
- respond to your questions or inquiries by email or otherwise;
- identify areas of interest;
- provide you with notices about your account, including expiration and renewal notices;
- carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us, including for billing and collection or as otherwise requested by applicable Law;
- notify you about changes to our Offerings or any other products or services we may offer or provide though it;
- allow you to participate in interactive and offline features of our Offerings;
- allow you to connect with other Users on our Sites, Mobile Apps or other Offerings;
- allow you to apply for Listings through our Offerings;
- allow you to request information from an Organization or grad school about their programs;
- consider potential improvements to our Site, Services, Mobile Applications or other Offerings; and
- provide a forum to connect people and organizations, such as yourself.
Subject to our EU GDPR Policy (applicable for Users located in the EEA) and other terms of our Agreement, the following is a non-exhaustive list of some examples of the ways we may use information about you:
- If yourequest it, we match your preferences with Organizations and Listings that meet your criteria. We use your Individual User Account Information to email you about these prospects.
- If you request materials from us, we also ask that you provide us with certain Personal Information, such as your email address. We may also use that Personal Information to determine the level of interest in our offerings.
- We may use your Individual User Account Information to get in touch with you regarding the status of your online requests for Services or any additional information you requested. We may also use your Individual User Account Information and Contributions to determine whether you qualify for any Services for which you request online.
- We may use your Individual User Account Information and Contributions to contact you by email or otherwise, as (i) required by Law; (ii) regarding current Offerings, or their content, that you may be receiving or may have requested information about; (iii) regarding additional or new Offerings or features Idealist may be offering; or (iv) requesting your feedback about your experience with an Offering.
- We may use your Individual User Account Information and Contributions to occasionally contact you, by email or otherwise, with Offering-related announcements. You may opt out of all communications (except those otherwise required by Law), though you acknowledge that opting out of essential Offering communications may impair or cancel certain functionality integral to your receipt and enjoyment of such Offerings.
- You may contact us directly with questions or comments regarding the services or to request additional information by following the links on the “Contact Us” section of our Sites and Mobile Apps. These links require you to give certain Personal Information so that we may respond to your inquiry.
Subject to applicable Law, we may need to disclose your Personal Information to others, without first obtaining your consent, in the following circumstances:
- Complying With Law Enforcement. Like any other service, site or application, we may be asked to provide Personal Information about our Individual Users and Organizations when subject to certain laws, rules, regulations, judicial or law enforcement proceedings, subpoenas, investigative demands, and other legal processes (collectively, “Law”) and may disclose such information if we have a good faith belief that doing so is required by Law. This may include respecting requests from jurisdictions outside of the United States.
- Preventing Fraud and Other Illegal Activity. We may also share Personal Information about Organizations and Individual Users when we have a good faith belief it is necessary to prevent fraud or other illegal activity, to prevent imminent bodily harm, or to protect both ourselves and you from people violating our Agreement. This may include sharing information with other companies, lawyers, courts, or other government entities as required by Law.
- Coordinating With Third Party Suppliers and Service Providers. We may use third party suppliers and service providers to facilitate our Offerings, and they may have access to your Personal Information. For example, we may outsource one or more aspects of our Offerings to a supplier or service provider who performs services according to our requirements, such as when you make a payment. We may also share Contributions made by Organizations or Individual Users with third-party, feed partners (such as other job listing websites), in order to further promote your organization or Listings. We endeavor to select only reputable companies who share our commitment to customer privacy, but cannot be held responsible when such third-parties breach any laws or governing agreements held with Idealist.
- Enforcing our Agreement. In certain instances, we may have a good faith belief that it is necessary to disclose Personal Information in order to enforce our Agreement in order to protect our Offerings, Users, the public or reputation.
We do not sell or trade Individual User’s personal information to marketing companies or information brokers or any other organization or individual for commercial or marketing purposes.
3. YOUR CONTROL OVER YOUR INFORMATION
You can review and change your Personal Information by logging into the Site and visiting your account profile page.
If you are an Individual User, Idealist may share your information either with your consent, or as otherwise provided in this Agreement. If you have an Organization account in the capacity of a non-profit for the purposes of hiring employees with Idealist, all information you share, including your organization profile, and all Listings you post, in addition to any of your Contributions, may be viewable through or shared within our Offerings.
Here are some additional things to remember:
- Information you make available to others might be re-shared or copied by those individuals and organizations.
- We may provide you with real-time chat features and enable your ability to connect with other Users in our Mobile App and other Offerings.
- We may provide you with discussion or comment features for your use. In the event you voluntarily disclose Personal Information using an Offering, that information, along with any content in your Contribution, communication or post, can be collected, correlated, and used by others. This may result in unsolicited messages from or improper and unauthorized use of your Personal Information by third parties. Such activities are beyond our control, and by using our Offering you acknowledge that such publically posted Contributions may be copied or stored by other Users or third-parties.
- There are no privacy settings for certain types of information that you post on a Site or a Mobile App, such as Listings and organization pages. This information is public for all members of the Internet, regardless of Idealist membership status. Please do not post a Listing or onto an organization page if you desire private treatment for such posted information.
4. THIRD PARTY LINKS
5. DATA SECURITY & HOW WE PROTECT INFORMATION
We have implemented measures designed to secure your Personal Information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration, and disclosure. All information you provide to us is stored on secure servers behind firewalls. Any payment transactions will be encrypted. In the case that it is stored by any third parties that we use, your account information may be stored on a secured server behind a firewall. When you enter sensitive information (like your password), the information is encrypted using secure socket layer technology (SSL). Please note however that despite the implementation of the above security policies, Idealist cannot guarantee that these security measures will prevent other third parties from unauthorized and unlawful access, use, alteration and disclosure of your Personal Information. As such, any transmission of your Personal Information to us is at your own risk.
The safety and security of your information also depends on you. Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password for access to certain parts of our Sites or Mobile Apps, you are responsible for keeping such password(s) confidential. We ask you not to share your password(s) with anyone, and refresh such password(s) as is deemed prudent. You can reduce the inherent risks associated with using the Internet by exercising common sense and discretion: for example, you should choose a strong password, use different passwords for different websites and services, and use updated antivirus software.
We do our best to keep your information secure, but you must actively participate in the process of keeping your information safe. We reserve the right to analyze accounts for fraudulent or irregular behavior and we may limit use of site features in response to possible signs of abuse. We urge you to be careful about giving out information in public areas of our Offerings, like message boards. The information you share in public areas may be viewed by any user of our Site(s) and Mobile Apps. Please timely report any security violations to us as outlined in the section below.
6. CHANGES TO THIS POLICY
B. EU GDPR POLICY
For the purposes of this EU GDPR Policy, “European Data Protection Legislation” means all applicable legislation relating to data protection in the EEA, including the EU GDPR and all legislation implementing or made under or pursuant to or replacing or superseding the EU GDPR, including the Data Protection Act 2018 in the UK. Where this EU GDPR Policy uses terms which are defined in the GDPR, the definitions in the GDPR will apply.
“Personal Information” means data relating to you from which you can be reasonably identified. Examples of Personal Information include your full name, postal address, email address and telephone number, IP address of your device, job title and the company you work for. We recognise that your Personal Information is valuable and process your Personal Information in accordance with European Data Protection Legislation and other applicable law.
Please read this EU GDPR Policy, and the rest of our Agreement, carefully to understand our requirements, procedures and practices regarding your information and how we will treat it. If you do not agree with this EU GDPR Policy or any another part of our Agreement, your choice is to opt out of part or all of our Offerings, as outlined below.
2. REASONS FOR USING YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
In order to facilitate your use of our Offerings, Idealist may need to use the Personal Information you have supplied us for both legal and legitimate business reasons. We collect and process your Personal Information for the following reasons:
(a) Fulfillment of Our Obligations to You. In order to properly supply our Offerings to you, Idealist is obligated to supply services that are compliant with various laws, rules, regulations and contracts. We may be required to take additional steps to perfect your requests of us, such as introducing you to other Users on our Site or Mobile App. We may have other legitimate interests for processing your information in pursuit of supplying you the Offerings you request, ranging from sending you updates or notifications about the Offerings you have requested or purchased to the protection of our Offerings and you from fraud or other criminal activity. Please note that you cannot opt-out of announcements, which are not primarily promotional in nature without deactivating your account. Lastly, we use third-party service providers to facilitate our supplying you our Offerings. On a limited basis, we may transfer your information to certain third-party suppliers that aid our maintaining a safe environment for and allow us to offer quality services to our Users. (b) Legal Obligations. Idealist has legal obligations that require it to adhere to certain recordkeeping and document retention standards, which shall include keeping user Personal Information to remain legally compliant. Idealist reserves the right to keep any information in our archives that we deem necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes and enforce our agreements.
(c) With Your Consent. When required by law, Idealist will rely upon your consent to process your information, such as for marketing new services to you. We use a number of mechanisms to obtain your consent. If you feel we are using your information without your consent, please use the opt-out mechanisms offered, such as our “unsubscribe” links found at the bottom of our marketing materials. If the opt-our mechanisms are not satisfactory, please contact us for additional assistance using this Web Form. All Users are kindly requested to note that if we have collected and processed your Personal Information with your consent, then you can withdraw your consent at any time. Withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing we conducted prior to your withdrawal, nor will it affect processing of your Personal Information conducted in reliance on lawful processing grounds other than consent, including, without limitation, the fulfillment of any of our legal obligations and record retention requirements.
3. RETENTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We will only retain your Personal Information for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes we collect it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any obligations to you. As a matter of practice, we retain Personal Information belonging to data subjects for a duration which is determined by considering the amount, nature and sensitivity of the Personal Information, the potential risk of harm from unauthorized use or disclosure of the Personal Information, the purposes for which we process the Personal Information and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, any limitation periods within which claims might be made and retention periods prescribed by law or recommended by regulators, professional bodies or associations.
4. YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE EU GDPR
In addition to the other rights you may have under our Agreement, under the European Data Protection Legislation, you, as a User located in the EEA have the right to:
- a) request access to your Personal Information;
- b) receive a copy of the Personal Information that you have provided to Idealist in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format so that you can share it with others;
- c) where Personal Information is inaccurate or incomplete, ask for Personal Information to be rectified or completed;
- d) request the transfer of your Personal Information to another party;
- e) ask that Personal Information be erased;
- f) make a complaint to a European data protection authority about the manner in which Idealist processes your Personal Information;
- g) object to us processing your Personal Information by asking for the processing of that Personal Information to be restricted or stopped. For example, if Idealist uses Personal Information for marketing purposes; and
- h) withdraw your consent to processing, in the limited circumstances where you may have provided your consent to the collection, processing and transfer of your Personal Information for a specific purpose. Once Idealist has received notification that you have withdrawn your consent, they will no longer process your information for the purpose or purposes you originally agreed to, unless they have another legitimate basis for doing so in law. Please note that the withdrawal of your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing of Personal Information based on your consent before its withdrawal.
5. TRANSFERRING PERSONAL INFORMATION OUTSIDE OF THE EU
The Personal Information we collect about you may be transferred to and stored at, one or more countries outside the European Economic Area (“EEA”). Ås there is not an adequacy decision by the European Commission with respect to countries outside the EEA, such countries may not provide the same level of protection for your Personal Information. However, to ensure that your Personal Information receives an adequate level of protection we are actively working towards adopting appropriate protective measures to ensure that your Personal Information is treated in a way that is consistent with and which respects European Data Protection Legislation.
If you provide your Personal Information to us in circumstances where our processing of it is subject to European Data Protection Legislation, please note that you are doing so on the basis that you explicitly consent to the transfer of your data outside the EEA. The potential consequence of you explicitly consenting to this are that there is a risk that your Personal Information will not be protected in a manner that complies with European Data Protection Legislation. You can withdraw your consent for this reason at any time by contacting us using this Web Form. Withdrawing your consent will not affect our use of the Personal Information prior to your withdrawing that consent but it will mean that we will not be able to contact you about the services we may be able to offer you in the future.
If you require further information about these protective measures, you can request it from Idealist’s data protection office, the details of which are set out under section C below.
6. AUTOMATED DECISION-MAKING
We do not envisage that any decisions having a legal or significant impact on you will be taken about you using solely automated means, however we will update this policy if our position or policy changes.
7. QUESTIONS AND CONCERNS